Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Monday, September 2, 2019

Ibiza...Is it "I-bee-zuh" or "I-bee-thuh"? (Part 2 of 2)


One day during my stay, I decided to hop on the moto and cruise along the coast and see what treasures I could find.  It's soooo easy on a moto, versus a car, to explore.  I just kept following streets and roads that hugged the coastline.  Over and over I came upon small developments centered around small bays (or coves) that had just enough beach to accommodate everyone but remain charming.

Like these....


At the next place, you could easily spot a half-dozen island (ettes) just off shore.   Like many coves, there's usually one or two restaurants right on the waters edge.

Check out the amazingly clear water!!






I love the old boat houses/shacks built into the shoreline.


I'm fascinated with strange rock outcrops.


On my excursion, I came to the town of Santa Eularia because I read of it's unique cathedral.   It's was okay.   I thing I'm getting jaded.  I'm not as easily impressed when I have so much impressive stuff around me!!  Plus, Reg told me he's tired of seeing so many cathedrals!!





Here's another beach, a very popular one, where I watched people leaping 'into the Med' from alluring precipices.










Tootling about the island, I came upon what was obviously an exclusive, upscale community.  Near the top of the hill was a house that stood out from all the others due to it's oddity.  I had to go see it.  I moto'd around and around and up and down to find it, always on the wrong street.  But, eventually, I found it though I wasn't able to see much from the street. So, here's a few snaps to give you an idea of its unique design.



This home, just down the street, caught my attention for its gargantuan cacti framing the driveway entrance.


Continuing my exploration, I came upon this unique site.  Not only is the rockery fascinating, but the fact there was (is?) a shooting range beyond the walls intrigued me.



So, I tootled over to the shooting range, drove through the big doorway in the tall fence (which was made of acoustics to deaden the noise of gunshots) and parked on the platform.

My trusty Scooter.



Off to the left, and at the end of the point, I zoomed in on a couple doing a photo-shoot.


Nah, I don't think I'll walk out onto the ledge!!!



Looking back across two bays to the Old Town of Ibiza.


The trip home to Mallorca was on a different ship.  It was a 'fast ferry'.  It chopped almost 1 1/2 hours off from the ferry trip I took going TO Ibiza.


All said and done, I really didn't care too much for Ibiza, especially as compared to its big sister Mallorca, where I reside.  It's a party island of mega clubs, little in the way of culture, darn near flat (except for that one hill), WAY too many cars (and traffic jams), and I didn't get much sense of a 'community'.  Its just those who came for the summer to party, then leave, shutter the windows, and lock up for winter. 


THE END!!


Dano


1 comment:

  1. I used to live there but I don't recognize anything. I guess that's what 50 years will do!

    ReplyDelete

Total Page Views