Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Budapest - Day 4 - A Funicular, a Palace, a Cathedral, the Parliament, & the Baths!!

Greetings...

Unlike yesterday when I took 100+ photos, today I took only 89.  In my review process, I whittled it down to 71 to keep and only 40 (only) I'm publishing here.

It was another hot day (93) in Budapest (102 back in Palma!) but I was determined to check off more sights from my list.

First stop:  Buda Castle (or Palace).  Visitors have a choice of walking up to the top of the hill via a serpentine path, riding a mini-trolley, taking a city bus, or riding the funicular.  No way was I walking...I took the funicular just for its uniqueness.

Onward to the photos!!!

Looking up at Buda Hill from the bottom it doesn't look all that high, but it's a substantial climb. 


At the top.  
Much of the Buda Castle houses several museums.  I didn't go in any.  I wandered the grounds and courtyards.



Looking across the Danube to the Pest side and the Chain Bridge.





A very interesting 'hunting' themed fountain.
I couldn't get the whole thing framed in my camera.




What's he gonna do....gum me to death?




I walked down the street (still on Buda hill) to my next stop:
Matthias Church
Nearly 750 years old, the whole building was remodeled a century later in a Gothic style.  In subsequent centuries, various wars inflicted damage but though most churches in Buda were destroyed, this one was not.


I love the tile work on the roof!  Very unique and uncommon.  Normally, I would leap at the chance to climb the tower, but it was just too hot and since I was already on a hill with limitless views, I wouldn't see anything more than I already could.



Unlike most churches/basilicas/cathedrals I've been in, the interior of this one is almost entirely painted.




Fishermans Bastion
It's one of the most popular tourist attractions due to the unique panorama of Budapest from the Neo-Romanesque lookout terraces.  Personally, I thought it looked like some modern-day Disney creation.  The only accessible parts were the balconies and turets.  Sort of a letdown, but the views were unsurpassed.



I left the hill and headed over to the Parliament building.  Due to its popularity, I had to make an appointment the day before to join a group tour with an English speaking guide.  The only way to see the interior is via guided tours.  You're not allowed to wander on your own.

Built in a gothic revival style, it was inaugurated in 1902 and is the third largest parliament building in the world.  

It has two absolutely identical parliament halls of which one is used for politics, the other for guided tours.I  t is 879 ft long and 404 ft wide.  Its interior includes 10 courtyards, 13 passenger and freight elevators, 27 gates, 30 staircases and 691 rooms (which includes more than 200 offices).  Inside and outside, there are altogether 250 sculptures on the walls.


Gold, gold, everywhere was gold.







The main staircase where only royalty and dignitaries enter.
All others must use the side entrances.





Inside one of the twin national assembly halls.


I can easily imagine Nancy Pelosi up there banging her gavel.


Outside the assembly hall is this room used for socializing and smoking during session breaks.



Those are cigar holders/ashtrays. Why the numbers?  
The politicians could snuff out their cigar and place it in a numbered holder, remember his number, and return to the assembly hall.  
Upon return, he knew where to retrieve his cigar and light up again.





Looking up at the inside of the dome.


The crown of St Stephen, the first King of Hungary. 
Displayed under the central dome (above photo), and guarded 24/7 by two soldiers. The two main soldiers are on shifts for an hour, have three choices of how they hold their saber, and rotate with each other every fifteen minutes

More than fifty kings were crowned with it, up to the last in 1916.  It is thought to date back to 1000/1001.

Also, the crown was moved around for safety during WW2, and stored in Fort Knox for about thirty years thereafter during communist rule.

It was returned by President Jimmy Carter.




I had yet to experience one of the many thermal baths in Budapest.  I was ready

Along the way, I spotted this oddity.

Do they know a Martian spacecraft landed atop their building?


That's the Rudas thermal baths complex on the other side of the bridge.  It was first built in 1550.  I couldn't take my camera inside, so I 'borrowed' a couple of photos from the interwebs to show you.





In 2006 a modern wing was added on that features a large swim pool along with several therapy pools, saunas, salt room, and this rooftop sun area and jacuuzi overlooking the Danube.



Next up...Day 5...I Go Underground!!


Dano


2 comments:

Total Page Views