Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Monday, December 2, 2019

Paris - Days 1 and 2 of 14

Bonjour!!!

Two weeks in Paris!!!  Wow...that must've been 'spensive (as Ricky Ricardo would say)!!!   Not really.  Firstly, I had no accomodation costs as this trip was yet another Home Exchange.  My roundtrip airfare was only $130.  I KID YOU NOT!!

A few weeks ahead of any of my Home Exchange trips, I usually do some researching online and make a list of the sights I'm interested in seeing.   And, if I'm going to a relatively large city, it's pretty standard these days that city offers a sightseeing pass and the transit company has all-inclusive travel passes as well, both for a fixed price.  These are great because you don't have to constantly stand in line to buy a ticket for X museum, or buy a ticket each and every time you want to get on a bus or a subway.  Saves time, confusion, stress, and money.

For example, before my trip, I pre-purchased (online) a 5-day unlimited metro pass for $72 which allowed me unlimited travel on busses, trolleys, subways, etc during that period.  I also purchased a 6-day city pass which gave me free access to more tha 50 attractions, for $74.  Some cities include the HoHo (Hop On Hop Off) bus and a river (if applicable) cruise, but Paris didn't.  I purchased the HoHo bus and river cruise for an additional $50.

Looking over the endless sightseeing possibilities Paris has to offer, I noticed Disneyland was not all that far away.  I had no interest in going but was curious of the cost of entry these days.  $87!!!  GET OUTA HERE!!!!  I've been to the Eiffel Tower before and went all the way to the top.  Amazing experience.  I felt I didn't need to do that again, though it would be fun.  My decision to NOT to do the ET again was made for me when I saw the price....over $70!!!   NO WAY!!!  It's just an elevator ride to the top for cripes sake!  But, the top is a very tiny space and I would probably die of old age before it became my turn to go up.  Hence, that might explain why they up'd the price....to keep the demand down.

My flight from Mallorca was delayed by 2 1/2 hours.  I was communicating with my Paris hosts (who were to be my guests in Palma).  Their flight was delayed, too.  We quickly realized my plane to Paris was their plane to bring them to Mallorca.  When I arrived in Paris I was able to quickly find them in line waiting to board at the same gate I was walking out of.  I asked the best way to get to their apartment from the airport.  They suggested I take a taxi since it was fairly late and the train line I would need would be stopping soon.  So, that's what I did.   $59 taxi fare!  YIPES!!!

The taxi dropped me off in front of the building.  I had to enter a code into a keypad to open the streetside massive wooden door to access the interior of the complex.  BUT, it was nighttime and I couldn't read the numbers on the dials.  I used the  flashlight function on my cell phone but that almost made it worse because the dials were chrome and the reflection of the light made it extremely difficult to read the numbers.  When I finally got inside, I was in an interior courtyard with no lights.  I got their apartment key from their mailbox as instructed.  Now what?  I couldn't tell which way to go in the complex.   I finally saw a glass door but it was locked and I had no idea how to open it.  What the host FORGOT to tell me was, there's a little do-dah on the keychain about the size of a 50-cent piece that I was supposed to slap against a reader pad to unlock that glass door.  I finally figured it out on my own.  This is something that occurs quite often in home exchanges.  Not specifically the key issue, but the host not putting themselves in the guests shoes and thinking of everything THEY would need/want to know...to look beyond what is second nature for them.  Usually, there's an info sheet left out for guests to review that addresses items such as how to use the washer/dryer, use the TV, WiFi password, nearest grocery store and metro stop, where to take garbage and recyclables, etc etc.  But, not at this Home Exchange apartment!!!

The next day was time to get oriented, get groceries, check out the neighborhood, find the nearest metro station (2 blocks), etc  The apartment I was staying in was within a short walking distance from the Sacre Coeur.  I anticipated Paris was going to be very different, demographic-wise, than the last time I was there in 1999.  In just 1/2 block from my front door, there were no less than a dozen hairdressing and wig shops!!  Women were inside doing the cuts and styles, while men were outside leaning on the parked cars, drinking beer and talking loudly.  Along the sidewalk were tumbleweeds of black hair.  When not in school, the stylists kids were running around in the street and weaving in and out of the pedestrians path, screaming at the top of their lungs.  Wonderful.  Luckily, my apartment had modern, double-paned glazed windows that cut 95% of the noise when they were shut.

The Paris Home Exchange apartment where I stayed.

I took the metro to Gare Nord (north train station) to get my transport and museum passes.  It's ENORMOUS!

While there, I walked over to the nearby St Viincent de Paul church.  It was closed but due to reopen in 30 minutes so I waited on a bench in a small park out front and perused my Paris info booklet.

Gare du Nord (North train station)


St Viincent de Paul
Completed in 1844











Wouldn't you know, a protest went by.  Don't know what it was for.  Police were standing by in riot gear.  Now that I think about it, many were wearing reflective yellow vests...must've been the yellow jackets group.  





Next up....Day 3...a day trip to the Palace of Versailles!!











1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I just found your blog and was wondering if you would be interested in contributing a guest post for the blog on our site, Retirement And Good Living, about living in Mallorca as an expat.

    Our site provides information on a variety of retirement topics including traveling, retirement locations, aging, health, planning, finances, education, hobbies, part time jobs, volunteering and more. Over 300 guests from around the globe provided posts for the blog on our site.

    Please let me know if you are interested and I will forward additional information.

    Thank you,

    Simone Harrison
    Retirement And Good Living
    simone@retirementandgoodliving.com
    https://retirementandgoodliving.com


    ReplyDelete

Total Page Views