Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Barcelona - Part 2 of 2 - Nov 2019


The next day, as was the day before, was beautiful, sunny blue skies.  I headed for the Columbus Monument, located in the middle of a roundabout down by the waterfront.  To look at it, you'd never think you could go up to the top and there's nothing outside of the base of the structure to bring attention to it.  But, if you take a short set of stairs down into the cellar, you'll find a small gift shop to purchase a ticket and an elevator that fits maybe 3 people.

Completed in 1888, it stands 197 feet tall.

The 360 degree viewing platform is the larger sphere under Columbus's feet.


Elevator entrance





One of the cable car towers


Montjuic and the 1992 Oympics Telecommunications Tower in the distance


It was windy and the tower was MOVING!!!



The Columbus Monument is located at the foot of Las Ramblas, probably the most famous and popular street to tourists in Barcelona.  Las Ramblas has a wide median in the middle of the street lined with open-air cafes, vendors, artists, a mercado, and street performers.

After the tower, I wandered down Las Ramblas to where it ends at Plaza Catalunya.





Along Las Ramblas is the Erotica Museum.  It's upstairs but easy to spot as there's usually a person dressed as Marilyn Monroe in the iconic white 'blow up' dress flirting with the pedestrians below and enticing them to come up.





I've passed by it many times, but it was time to finally mark it off my to-do list.  It was very informative from a sexuality history standpoint with lots of strange and fascinating gadgets, large and small, on display.

Like this one


FAIR WARNING!!!

The next photo might elicit a GASP!!!

If you don't want to see it, scroll past quickly!!!


I WARNED YOU!!!

Moving on....

I decided to venture off of Las Ramblas and over a few blocks to see what might be there.  It ended up being what's known as the Gothic Quarter.

This hotel sure has a nice rooftop patio!!!




I guess it makes sense to head for the cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia, also known as Barcelona Cathedral, after visiting the Erotica Museum!


Unfortunately, there was a long line to get in, and my knee was killing me, so I decided to come back the next day.


I decided to find a place to have a nice lunch, then head back to my apartment.  About a block from the cathedral I found a nice cafe with outdoor seating.  I noticed many people walking over to a wall with a large mural on it and, seemingly, taking great interest in it.  I didn't understand why.

After I finished eating, I walked over to check it out.  It was hundreds of tiles with images of people living everyday life.

OK

Well, that's nice.


But, when I walked away, I turned around and looked again.

WOW!!!

The mosaic of smaller tiles together made for a larger image.


On the way back to my apartment I passed this cool market.


....and another cool building with 'eyeballs' all over it.
I have no clue what the reference is.
Big Brother is watching??


The next day, I returned to the Cathedral and went inside.  Its construction was completed in 1417 but the exterior had a rather plain look.  It wasn't until 1913 that the gothic facade was added.



Choir seating



When I purchased my tickets, I also purchased access to the roof.  Thankfully, it was via elevator!!

Right smack dab in the middle of town

I've found a paradise that's trouble proof.

And if this old world starts getting you down,
there's room enough for two...
Up on the roof, up on the roof!!!
(lyrics from song 'Up on the Roof' by 'The Drifters')




I love the Snail!!!






Here's a 360 video I took from the roof of the Cathedral.




By the way, if you're interested in viewing any of my past entries about travelling around Europe and where I live in Mallorca, simply scroll down past my signature to the end.  There, you'll see 'Blog History'.  You can click on any Month/Year to see the titles I published at that time.  Simply click on the title you're interested in and it will take you to that page.


Next up... 
Back to Barcelona
in
January, 2020!!


Dano

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Page Views