Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

A Day Trip to...Santanyi and Cala Figuera

Mallorca is definitely not an island where you would get 'island fever' as there is so much to see and do here!  There are well over 65 towns/villages on this chunk of land only 60 miles long and 45 miles wide!!  Santanyi is one of them and that's where I'm taking you today:





SANTANYI

Santanyi, a town of about 3,500 residents, is located 36 miles from Palma.  I heard it's very popular amongst international artists and the weekly outdoor market is one of the favorites on the island.  I hopped on my moto to check it out for myself.  

Almost every town in Mallorca has a weekly market, each held on a different day of the week...in this case, Weds and Sat.  Unlike many other markets that are held in the central square, this market lines the narrow winding streets...easy to get lost!!






Sausages


I love this 'web' style of exterior walls.


I found the shops and restaurants in Santanyi to be very creative and up-scale.





Chandelier of colored water glasses.






Only the front facade remains standing on the 2nd level.
This is very common amongst construction projects, to preserve the original historical look.







CALA FIGUERA

About 3-4 miles down the road from Santanyi is the village of Cala (meaning Cove) Figuera.  Even though it's at the waters edge, there are no sandy beaches here.  As a result, the town has retained its fishing village character, with about 1,000 residents, and no modern high-rise hotels hogging the shorelines. 

Another unique feature of Cala Figuera is it's 'Y' shaped narrow bay which stretches over 2,000 feet inland from the mouth.

Zoom in on this photo and look closely at the other side where you'll see a cave, fireplace, and steps leading down to the water.







Does this OOOOOZE charm or what??



So, that was my day-jaunt from my home in Palma.  



Hmmm...where will I go on my next Mallorca outing??



Stay Tuned!!


Dano



By the way, if you're interested in viewing any of my past entries about travelling around Europe and where I live in Mallorca, simply scroll down past my signature to the end.  There, you'll see 'Blog History'.  You can click on any Month/Year to see the titles I published at that time.  Simply click on the title you're interested in and it will take you to that page.

2 comments:

Total Page Views