Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

A Day Trip - Lluc > Cala Sant Vicenc > Pollenca > Port of Pollenca


It was a Monday, July 27th, 2020.  The temps were going to be in the 90's (30+ C).  At 10:30 am,  I hopped on my motorcycle for a nice, cool trip in the Tramuntana mountains and a few port towns under gorgeous smog-free blue skies.

Lookng at the map below, you can see the route I took. I left Palma and took the freeway through the flats to the town of Inca.  From there, I passed through Caimari and Selva (which I passed through in a recent blog trip) and up into the mountains, heading for Lluc...a place I hadn't been before.  After visiting the monastery there, I continued until I arrived in the TOWN of Pollenca.  Just outside Pollenca I took a side road to check out the gorgeous setting of Cala Sant Vicenc.  Then I dashed over to the PORT of Pollenca.   To head home, I had to go back to the TOWN of Pollenca, back to Inca, and the freeway (autopista) to Palma.


The town of Selva sitting on a knoll.


Looking over to the town of Caimari



SANTUARI DE LLUC

Santuari de Lluc is a monastery located in the Tramuntana Mountains at about 1,700 ft.  The church was completed in 1691.  It's an oasis of tranquility and spirituality that include overnight accommodations (81 rooms and 39 apts), restaurant, museum, gift shop, botanical gardens.  There's even a Boys Choir that 'performs' regularly.  The area is a popular place to set out on hikes and/or cycling.  Nearby is a large area of picnic tables and, a little further, an area for camping.











ON THE ROAD AGAIN





No, that's not water cascading over rocks.  That's the actual rocks etched by wind and grit.  Looks like it's melting!  "Someone left the cake out, in the rain..."



POLLENCA

The town of Pollenca (or Pollensa) is about 4 miles inland from its port, Port of Pollensa...which is a beach resort town.  The TOWN of Pollenca has a population of about 16,000 whereas the PORT of Pollencas' population varies dramatically based on season.  Pollenca is not so touristy, its residents are mainly islanders.  However, that doesn't mean there's nothing to see here.  It's known for the 365 steps to Calvari, the scene of a moving procession each Good Friday when a figure of Christ is removed from a cross and carried down the steps by torchlight.  There's other sites I didn't catch while here, such as an old roman bridge still in use, the Convent Santo Domingo on top of a hill, and the church of Santa Maria on Plaza Major.


Calvario Chapel

365 steps leading up to Calvari


Looking over Pollenca


In the distance is the town of Alcudia



CALA SANT VICENC

Located about 7kms (4.5 miles) from the town of Pollenca is one of the smallest resorts in Mallorca.  The town is arranged around four little cove beaches and is great for snorkeling.

Peninsula Formentor looming in the background







Cala Sant Vicenc is also home to another interesting site, but I didn't make it there this time.  It's the Alzinaret prehistoric caves dating back to around 1600 B.C., in the Middle Bronze Age.  It is a necropolis located a block or so off the main road just before you arrive in town.  Here's a link to a website where you can read some basic info and see photos as well.



I was back home by 4:30pm after logging upwards of 70 miles.



NOW FOR THE VIDEO!!!

With my new GoPro camera mounted to the top of my helmet, I recorded the entire trip for you to view.  I edited it down to a mere 42 minutes (MERE!!!and added some cool features such as music, still photos, commentary, etc.  Don't worry, I added an Intermission!  Grab your popcorn and settle in!!  I hope you enjoy viewing this gorgeous island!

Click on the video image:



 Or click here:  https://youtu.be/AxpEpftr39w





Stay Tuned...

Who knows what I'll blog about next!!!

Dano



By the way, if you're interested in viewing any of my past entries about travelling around Europe and where I live in Mallorca, simply scroll down past my signature to the end.  There, you'll see 'Blog History'.  You can click on any Month/Year to see the titles I published at that time.  Simply click on the title you're interested in and it will take you to that page.




1 comment:

  1. beautiful city, good beaches, interesting viewsides......incledible island

    ReplyDelete

Total Page Views