Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Friday, July 16, 2021

Home Exchange - Berlin - Day 4

 June 28, 2021 (Monday)  

Temperatures up to 88 today.  I decided to head out of the city, via the U-Bahn train, to the town of Kienberg, specifically Kienbergpark, where there was a bobsled run calling my name.  The park, comprised of 60 hectares (150 acres), was opened for the International Garden Exhibition Berlin of 2017.  The ropeway system (what we would call a 'Gondola') has a total length of 1.5 kilometers.  The 'hill' (more like a mound), is a whopping 315 feet high.  LOL  It has eleven international themed gardens, hiking trails, and a panorama viewing platform at the top.  Oh, and a bobsled run where you can ride at speeds of up to 40 km/hr (25 mph) down 500 meters (1650 ft) to the bottom, then it brings you back up to the top (at slow speed).  The bobsled was all I cared about.  My first.

The Gondola (ropeway system) station


I hoped I wouldn't get nosebleed from the heights!!  LOL


Bobsled starting point.
Each sled can accommodate 2 people.
You must hold both levers down to release the sled and free-fall the entire route.
Lifting the levers, applies the brakes.


Short video clip of the 'launch'


Video (sped up) of being brought back up to the launching point.


That was all I needed to see and do at KienbergPark.  I headed back to Berlin.

Deutscher Dom (aka Neue Kirche)
 Opened 1785
After being heavily damaged during the bombing of Berlin in WWII, reconstruction was completed in 1988.


Deutscher Dom (aka Neue Kirche)
As it was in 1981


Deutscher Dom (aka Neue Kirche) & the Konzerthaus


Konzerthaus
Built 1821
Severely damaged by allied bombing in WWII, it was rebuilt from 1977 onwards and reopened in 1984.  As of 2004, the hall's acoustics were considered to be among the five best concert venues in the world for music and/or opera.
Unfortunately, they don't provide tours.


Konzerthaus & Französischer Dom


Französischer Dom
Meaning French Cathedral in German, since 'Dom' is being used in the French sense, it means 'Dome'.  Neither Deutscher Dom nor this one are classified as 'cathedrals'.  Opened in 1701, though subsequently expanded primarily in 1785 like its neighbor Deutscher Dom across the plaza they share.  The two churches almost look identical on the exterior.  It, too, was extensively damaged during WWII  then reconstructed during 1977 - 1981.


Remember this from Day 3?
St Thomas Kirche


The back side of St Thomas Kirche


Digging around, I came upon this photo and recognized the church.  It's St Thomas Kirche and that is the Berlin Wall running behind it.  I put 2 & 2 together and realized the Berlin Wall ran down the street in front of the apartment where I was staying!  




If you remember from my Day 3 blog, a canal used to exist where you see the dirt stretch.  In the 1920's it was filled in and, subsequently, in 1961 the Berlin Wall was erected following the same path.

In the next photo, you can see the places I spoke of (and posted photos of) in Day 3.  On the left and set back from the pond is St Michaels Kirche.  The pond out front is now known as Engelbecken.  My apartment is to the right and one block down from the pond.  It's an L-shaped modern building on the corner next to a red brick complex.  The white strip between the two rows of trees that split the boulevard is where the canal existed and ran to the river Spree.  Between 1961 and 1989, the Berlin Wall stood in the same spot.  In the lower right, you can see St Thomas Kirche.


Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls....that's your history lesson for today!!

Stay tuned....

Up Next - Day 5...
Dano
By the way, if you're interested in viewing any of my past entries about travelling around Europe and where I live in Mallorca, simply scroll down past my signature to the end.  There, you'll see 'Blog History'.  You can click on any Month/Year to see the titles I published at that time.  Simply click on the title you're interested in and it will take you to that page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Page Views