Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Budapest - Friday in the Park with Dano + Go Home

Only today and tomorrow left in Budapest!!

When I took the Danube river tour we went around an island, in the middle of the river, called Margaret (or Margit) Island.  My last outing was to go there on a beautiful, sunny, low-80's Friday.

Pedestrian promenades navigate around parkland, an art nouveau water tower, the ruins of a 13th-century Dominican convent, a musical fountain and a small zoo. Other attractions include jogging tracks, thermal spas and swimming pools, a rose and Japanese gardens. Summertime brings pop-up bars and restaurants, as well as live music.  MI is 2.5 kms long and about 1,600 feet wide.

To get there was easy by taking one trolley car to the tip of the island (got off on the bridge), then a short bus ride to the mid-point.  There was too many things to see and do in just one day, so I focused on two of my favorite things...something to climb, and theater.

Aside from the bus, there were other modes to zip around the island such as renting these electric 'cars', electric-assisted bicycles, electric kick scooters, and the old fashioned pedal carriages.


Built in 1911, you can climb this active water tower (but only to the scallooped balconies) to see the tremendous views of the city as well as the open air theater at its base.




The first few levels of the climb have images of its history and the theater.



Looking up the spriral staircase.


Looking back down to the bottom.



This is the platform where you come out after climbing the stairs.  Though the stairs continue, you're not able to go any further.


Looking outward to the city and directly in front of the tower is an amazing amphitheater that seats 3,000.


Looking down from the water tower to the canvas-covered theater receiving area and several eateries.
Notice they cut holes for the trees to grow through.


Back down on the ground, a look around at the theater receiving area, patio, and eateries under the canvas canopy.


Next I wandered back to my origination point and came upon one of the two muscial fountains on the island.  Scattered about are chairs, embedded in the concrete so as not to be stolen, and placed at various angles to create a friendly, relaxing rest stop.

Notice the massive tree trunks which seems to sprout several more trees.






Off to the side of the fountain was this guy entertaining the young, and not-so, creating massive bubbles for tips.




CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE FOUNTAIN IN ACTION !!



Time to leave the park and head back to my Home Exchange apartment.  Time to do laundry, pack, and clean up.

The trolley (tram, train, light rail, metro, whatever) stops mid-way on this bridge which connects to the northern tip of the island.


DAY 8
TIME TO GO HOME...WAAAGGGHHHHH!!!


I think I mentioned it before, but I'll say it again.  Budapests' airport is strange.  The terminal I was in had no jetways.  We had to walk outside, following a metal-covered corridor and into what seemed like a barren cruise terminal waiting area.  There, our tickets were scanned and we walked outside again to our 'gate' which was nothing but the same type of metal-covered corridor but divided in half by a railing...no place to sit...just stand and wait.  The other side of the railing is where arriving passengers would pass by while we waited (OUTSIDE in the freezing or hot weather...whichever applied) on the opposite side of the railing.  When it came time for us to board, a chain was removed and we walked across the tarmac and up the stairs onto the plane.


Into the 'cruise terminal' waiting area.




Gate A12 is down thataway.
The highest of security, no?
In hot weather, no protection on the sides from the hot air or the metal roof adding to the hotness.
In cold weather, no protection on the sides from cold air or rain blowing in.



Budapest was a fantastic city to visit and should be on everyone's Europe list. I checked off 22 from my list of 29 places I wanted to see.  I'm sure there's much more I could've added to that 29 but just didn't know about them.  I guess I need to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Page Views