Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Monday, November 18, 2019

Madrid - Architectural Eye Candy - Part 1 of 2

Yet another home Exchange, this time for 6 days in Madrid...my 2nd time (a 3rd one is coming up the end of Feb 2020).

I like Madrid...a lot.   I wouldn't mind living there even though it's a much larger city than I'm typically drawn to, but it's land-bound.  No beaches nowhere.

As I've mentioned before, because I live on an island, the government of Spain discounts air and sea travel within Spain by 75%.  The results of this meant I only paid about $50 round trip from Palma to Madrid for this exchange!!

Even without the discount, airfares in Europe are very reasonable if you fly budget airlines like RyanAir, Vueling, EasyJet, etc.  On the average, you can travel to many of the popular European destinations for $250 or less.  And, MOST of the flights can be done in 2 hours or under.  Most people can deal with the lack of amenities on budget airlines for that amount of time.  Europeans travel a LOT...much moreso than Americans.

Some of the reasons which might explain how budget airlines (using RyanAir as an example) can offer such low fares are:
  • They use the older part of the terminals versus the latest, sleekest, fanciest (costlier) areas.
  • Some don't use jetways....you walk across the tarmac or are shuttled to the airplane parked away from the terminal.
  • Their gates are the furthest away...they pay less rent than the prime locations.
  • Likewise, check-in counters are further away from the central locations.
  • Their planes are minimally fitted (ie; no adjustable headrests, no entertainment systems, no seatback pockets, no magazines).
  • Legroom is a few inches shorter than others...more seats, more income.
  • They don't serve food which saves weight and the cost of contracts with food services, but they do sells snack and other items at jacked-up prices (generates revenue).
  • No power windows.

On most of my trips, my first day typically involves flying to the destination, transport to the apartment, unpack, check the fridge/get groceries, scope out the digs, and relax.

On Day 2, I headed out to explore the city and start checking places off my list.  First stop...the Basilica San Francisco.  


Nope, this isn't it.
It's the Catedral de la Almudena.  It just happened to be on the way and also very nearby, so thought I'd toss it in here.


THIS is the Basilica San Francisco!!

I came here a year ago on my first visit to Madrid but wasn't able to get in which is why I put it first on my list.  


TECHNICALLY, you're not supposed to take any photos, but I had to sneak a few when no one was looking (except God).  

Constructed between 1761–1784, inside it feels as if the entire church is covered by the dome.  It's massive at 108 ft in diameter and 190 ft high.  To give you perspective, it would take more than six '64 Chevy Impalas to bridge the gap!



From the Basilica I walked towards Plaza Mayor (My Your) and passed this interesting complex.  I have no idea what it is, but a tour guide was explaining it to a group, so it must be something historical, right?  Hey, I don't know everything about every place....I just like it!


Plaza Mayor
Last year, the facade was covered with a scrim while renovation work was being done.


Another interesting church building...a dime a dozen around here!


After passing through Plaza Mayor, I headed over to the nearby Mercado San Miguel...one of my favorite eateries in Madrid.  Very popular, it's constantly packed due to the wide array of vendors selling tapas of all types.  The tapas are so enticing it's hard to decide what to get.




'Gran Via' is THE street to see and shop in Madrid.  Constructed in 1924, the buildings that line the street are each their own work of art.






Next up...More of Madrid's Architectural Eye Candy...!!


Dano






No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Page Views