Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Madrid - Haven't I Been Here Before? (Part 1 of 2 - Cathedral Almudena)

Yes, I have been here before...this is my 3rd Home Exchange to Madrid....4 days/3 nights.

The apartment where I stayed couldn't have been more perfectly located.  Adjacent to Plaza Espana, the subway entrance across the street, 1/2 block from Gran Via (the most famous shopping street in Madrid), a 10 minute walk to the Royal Palace and Cathedral, plus TONS of tapas bars everywhere I turned.


The RIU Hotel located across the street from my apartment.

The apartment itself wasn't much to get excited about.  NORMALLY, home exchanges are just that...HOME exchanges.  This apartment was a tourist rental.  I knew that beforehand and had no problem with it.  However, it lacked in the typical amenties one enjoys while staying in a home-home.  Things like, yes, there was a cooktop and pots/pans, but no cooking oil, salt/pepper/spices, sugar, coffee/tea....NADA.  Yes, there was a washing machine, but no laundry detergent.  Yes, there was silverware, 2 cutting knives, and a wine opener, but no cooking utensils such as a spatula.  No cleaning supplies (ie; general-use cleaner)...just a broom.

The whole point of doing exchanges is to save $$$ in lodging expenses, being able to cook to save from having to eat out for every meal, and maybe freshen up your wardrobe by doing laundry.  Why should everyone have to go out and buy cooking oil, salt/pepper, coffee, sugar, etc only to leave behind whatever they didn't use which would probably be take home by cleaning lady, too!!  GRRRRR!!!

Aside from the apartment, it was a fun trip.  My RT airfare was only $44.

On my first full day there, I headed out to see the Royal Palace which I didn't see in previous trips because the line was always too long.  It was Saturday.  As I walked there, I was astonished how many people were milling around the area near the Palace....at the end of February!  

I realized later the palace had just completed the changing of the guard which is what drew the crowds.  I had no idea because I read it occured on Wednesdays.  Go figure!!!

When I saw the long line to buy tickets to get in, I said 'forget it' as my knee wasn't going to be kind to me standing that long.  I noticed a shorter line to the side.  It said for 'ticket holders'.  After I got back to the apartment later that day, I purchased a ticket online for Sunday, the next day.

Meanwhile, I crossed the plaza and entered the Cathedral de Almudena.  Though it looks like a typical 500 year-old structure, construction only began in 1879 thus making it only (only) 140 or so years old.  It was consecrated by Pope John Paul II in 1993.  In 2004 it was the site of the wedding of (the current) King Felipe VI (who was prince at the time) to Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.  They also maintain a royal palace residence where I live in Palma, Mallorca.

On with the photos!!!

Cathedral de Almudena







The stained glass windows show a more modernistic style.





The underside of the dome/cupola.


A service was being held while I was there.  
Here, you can see the priest ascending the stairs to the center where he's about to give communion.

Bronze sculptures on the exit doors.




Next up... 
Part II, The Royal Palace!


Dano




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Page Views