Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Madrid - Haven't I Been Here Before? (Part 2 of 2 - Royal Palace)

Third time's a charm!!  Two times in the past, the lines to buy tickets to access the Royal Palace were waaaay too long.  This time, I finally got smart and purchased a ticket online, for a 10:30 timeslot, and sashayed right past those waiting in the long line!!!

Let's review some stats on this place, ok?
  • It's the OFFICIAL residence of the Spanish royal family at the city of Madrid, although now only used for state ceremonies.  The Royal family, instead, live in a significantly more modest (a puny 34,000 sqft) baroque Palace of Zarzuela on the outskirts of Madrid.
  • The 'RP' is 1.450.000 sq ft
  • It has 3,418 rooms, but only 50 or so are open for viewing by the public.
  • If you like washing windows, there's 870 of them!
  • If you're into stair climbing, take your pick from 44 staircases.
  • If you want to act like Evita and wave to your peasants, you can choose from 240 balconies.
  • It took 17 years to build, starting in 1755 and over 100 years to decorate.
  • It was constructed using granite and limestone, with no wood other than the doors and windows to avoid the risk of fire.
  • Speaking of wood, all the interior doors are made of mahogany.

From the outside, the palace looks pretty dull in gray colors.  But, the inside, I think is the most opulent I've ever seen and I've viewed many palaces around Europe so far!  The big bummer is they don't allow you to take photos inside any of the rooms.  No, it's not about flashes, it's NO FOTOS PERIOD!!!  I don't remember any other palace, cathedral, or castle that I've been to thus far that has that restriction!  GRRRRRR!!!

I was able to take photos of the grand staircase, and even snuck one or two when no one was looking, but the remainder I 'borrowed' from the interwebs so you can see just how stunning the interior is.  EVERY single room had a security person watching your every move!!

So, let's get on with the photos shall we?


Walking to the palace, I passed this nice building around the corner from my apartment.  I love the details.
It's always the women who hold everything up, huh?


Plaza Espana is currently under an extensive remodel.  The street between the palace and Plaza Espana is being closed and turned into a pedestrian esplanade linking the two.  BUT, when tearing up the street, they found something interesting!!!


One side of the Royal Palace

Apparently I just missed the changing of the guards.

Looking from the plaza OUTside to the plaza INside the palace grounds.


I love all the beautiful lamposts seen in old cities throughout Europe.
Notice each one is crowned with a crown!




At the entry, the Grand Staircase

The ceiling above the Grand Staircase

More of...you guessed it....the Grand Staircase



In the very first room I was able to get a snap of the ceiling...before being told 'NO!'

The rooms that are open for public viewing have their carpets rolled back and the public either walks on the marble or a tacky, solid colored, pad.

When I left this room, I noted where the security guard was standing.  Once I was past the curtain I quickly took a snap.  Teeeehhheeeee.

Once outside the rooms and onto the exterior corridors, it was ok to take a photo.  
Big whoop.

The chandeliers in the palace were utterly jaw-dropping.  Instead of being suspended way up high, you could reach up and touch them (if you didn't value your life).  On average, I guesstimate they were 7-8ft wide by 8-10 ft tall.  The chain suspending them from the ceiling was always wrapped in fine materials.

This room was STUNNING!!!
The relief you see is 3 dimensional...not a flat pattern.
(borrowed from the interwebs)

Clearly, all combined, THOUSANDS of crystals made up the chandeliers!!
Can you imagine cleaning them? 
(that's what my Mom always pointed out!)

This one I borrowed from the internets, not the interwebs.



This dining room table setting sat 55!!
(yes, I counted the chairs!)
HEY QUEENIE!!!  PLEASE PASS THE BUTTER!!!
(yes, I copied this from you-know-where)


I've seen some pretty over-the-top rooms before, but this one...
is completely covered in PORCELAIN 
(yes, walls and ceiling!)


Back to the Grand Staircase, down, and out the front door!!
All I can say is....

Theres an entire mountain(s) of marble and granite that disappeared somewhere and landed here!!


The palace has its' own royal chapel, which is more like a down-sized cathedral, but I couldn't take any photos of it.

Many rooms were lined with tapestries, not the hanging type, but tapestries applied like wallpaper, but I couldn't take any photos of them either!

Even the electrical sockets were covered in the same motif as the walls to blend in.


Since it was only about 1pm when I finished touring the palace, I hopped a bus to go to the Teleferico (gondolas) that would take me 7,500 feet across the massive Campo Del Moro park, one of the three parks surrounding the palace.  But, when I got there, it was closed and no reason posted.  Everyone was puzzled as we were there during normal hours of operation.  We finally figured out they closed it down because it was a very windy day. 

Oh well, next time.



What ever will I write about next??

Stay Tuned!!


Dano


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Page Views