Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Spain, in the city of Palma on the island of Mallorca in the middle of the Mediterranean sea!! I moved from the USA to Cuenca, Ecuador, South America and lived there for 7 years before moving here to Spain in early 2018. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here....across the pond...as well as Home Exchange trips to exciting places all over Europe!

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Cologne, Germany - Part 3 of 3 - A Day Trip to a Castle on a Hill Overlooking the Rhine

Monday, March 9th, 2020

If  you ever find yourself in Cologne or Bonn, Germany, you should make it a point of visiting Konigswinter.  The town of about 40,000 has over 30 historical sites, an aquarium, and is situated on the edge of the Rhine river where you can enjoy a day cruise.

Whenever I'm on a Home Exchange trip, I look for opportunities to do a day trip to see something special nearby.  With Europe's fantastic train system, you can easily travel somewhere within a 200 mile radius and be back the same day.

This time, I chose to go see a castle on a hill overlooking the Rhine river.  I took my usual bus and train to the main Cologne train station, then a fast train to Bonn, one stop away, for $3.  I switched to a tram (ie; light rail) ($2) and 16 stops later I arrived in Konigswinter about an hour and half after I left my apartment in Cologne.

From the stop along the Rhine I had to walk across the village to reach the cog railway station to take me up the hill to the castle and other sites.  Good ol' reliable Google maps routed me along a zig-zaggy path which I found odd because it looked like I could go over to 'this street', then 'up that street' to get there.  But, what did I know?  Certainly, Google knows more than I do...right?   After a long walk I arrived at the station, exhausted, and my knee killing me.

I purchased a $17 roundtrip ticket which included the climb on the antique railway and entrance to the castle.  


I rode all the way to the top first to view the ruins of Drachenfels Castle a short walk further up the hill.  The views of the Rhine were fantastic.  I could make out Bonn and the spires of the Cathedral in Cologne in the far-off distance!  I thought the viewing area was the furthest I could go, but I discovered a STEEP path that took me right up to the ruins.

Here's some interesting facts:
  • It was built in the early 12th century as a fortress to secure the territory and ultimately became a residence until the early 1500's.
  • The structure was destroyed in 1634 during the Thirty Years War. 
  • More collapse occurred due to rock quarrying below until in 1836 when it was taken over as a public property and the quarrying was stopped.
  • Measures to preserve and secure the remains started in 1855.





I rode the cog train half way back down to the Castle Schloss Drachenburg and did a self-tour there.


The only part I didn't explore was the 'wedding tower'...because it was a tower...which meant climbing!!!



It was built, in 1884, as a private villa but the person who it was built for never ended up living there.















Poor guys look bored.




Here's a cool shot I borrowed from webnetinters which shows the ruins at the top and the castle lower on the hill overlooking the town of Konigswinter.


Have no fear, for there IS VIDEO!!

The video below shows the arrival by train, the cog train ride up the hill, the ruins, and the entire interior of the Castle.


When I was done, I rode the cog train back down to the base.  I asked an attendant what the best walking route back to the train would be.  The route back was direct and practically straight to the train stop....at least 500 meters shorter than the route Google told me to take when I arrived!!  GRRRRRR!!!!  Within a few minutes the train arrived and I headed back to Cologne.

For this 'day trip', I left around 11am and was back around 6pm.   Roundtrip on trains, river views, a charming town, cog railway, tours of a hillside castle and ruins, all in the course of about 7 hours and $30 (mas o menos)!!!


Tuesday, March 10th, 2020

It was time to head home to Palma, Mallorca.  As we pulled out of the central train station, I took note of this performance venue located on the other side of the tracks from the massive Cathedral.  It's called the 'Musical Dome'.  Built in 1996, in 6 months, the theater has 1,700 seats and hosts musicals such as Abba, Sat Night Fever (running now) and coming up Priscilla Queen of the Desert. 


Back at the Cologne airport, I began to stress out.  I usually have NO problems going through security as I pack the same way every time.  As I reached the belt to go through the scanner, an agent asked me if I had any liquids.  I showed him my usual large baggie with all my toiletries (toothpaste, deodorant, comb, Q-tips, etc) in it.  He said the bag was too big and said I needed to separate the liquids.  WHAT liquids??  I didn't have any!!!  He informed me toothPASTE and aerosol hairspray are LIQUIDS!!!!   I had to get out of line and go to a vending machine to purchase two 1-liter baggies for $1.  GRRRRR!!!!

Then I had to cut back in line but was challenged because the former agent had left his post and was replaced by somone else.  I explained.  Of course, after passing through the scanner, my bag was selected to be inspected.  The guy who inspected it gave me grief and I told him I've travelled about 10 times the past year all throughout Europe, the same way every time, and no one has had a beef until now....and, by the way, how the hell is toothPASTE and AEROSOL hairspray considered a liquid?  And, why is Cologne airport different than all others I've been through?  He told me they were all the same.  I think NOT.

As you can probably tell, I was in a pissy mood after that!!!   I headed for my gate, but stopped to buy a small bottle of water...$3.80!!!  Note:  at the Palma airport, they sell the same thing in vending machines for $1 due to government rules that water should be affordable.  

The waiting area for my gate had only 16 seats in an enclosed space no more than 25 x 25!!!!  Everyone had to stand, except for the 16.

Then, we had to walk to the plane.  At the airplane door, the flight attendant asked to see my boarding pass.  WHAT????!!!!!   They just examined it along with my passport when I exited the gate to board the plane!!  I realize this is done by some airlines but I have never understood the reason because, it's validated when you're allowed to enter the jetway, so how the hell could it have changed from that point to the door of the plane??  What an idiotic procedure!! To give them sh_t, I purposely fussed around in my bag 'trying' to find my boarding pass that I had already put away.  

Within a few hours, I was happily back home.

What ever will I write about next??

Stay Tuned!!


Dano



By the way, if you're interested in viewing any of my past entries about travelling around Europe and where I live in Mallorca, simply scroll down past my signature to the end.  There, you'll see 'Blog History'.  You can click on any Month/Year to see the titles I published at that time.  Simply click on the title you're interested in and it will take you to that page.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Page Views